Located on the 4,500 acre, 21 mile long Claytor Lake (from which the park was named) in the New River Valley of southwestern Virginia, Claytor Lake State Park offers a wide variety of activities for water and land enthusiasts. Easily accessible from Interstate 81, the park features the only full service marina in the state park system. In addition, there are miles of hiking trails, swimming, camping facilities, cabins and a visitor center. The visitor center is located in the historic Howe House. The lake and the park are named after Graham Claytor (1886-1971), who was vice president of Appalachian Power and supervised construction of the dam. Claytor Lake State Park covers 472 acres. Lake size, 4,500 acres; 21 miles long. The park has approximately three miles of lake frontage.